304 North Cardinal St.
Dorchester Center, MA 02124
Welcome to Humor Nation. Today we are back with another Black Butler article, let’s just get on with this article about the things you missed in Black Butler. And if it’s not obvious enough, there’s definitely going to be some spoilers in this article.
10. If you’re reading this article then I’m going to assume you already know the back story of Ciel Phantomhive. Even so I like a quick recap. A few years before the start of the series on his 10th birthday, the home of Ciel Phantomhive was attacked and set ablaze by an unknown perpetrator leaving his parents dead in the process. Ciel was then kidnapped and sold off to a seemingly random buyer who held him locked in a cage. He was later than branded with the mark of the noble beast before finally being made a sacrificial piece and some sort of cult ritual.
For the most part the story stays true throughout the anime with only some minor details being moved around. However something that doesn’t add up is the placement of the mark branded on Ciel’s body in the first season of the anime the mark can be seen printed just below his chest, but in later seasons of his instead shown on his lower back. Weird as it is it turns out this is a simple error made by the animation team. As the first time we actually see the mark within the manga isn’t until the circus arc which is season 3 of the anime.
9. At the beginning of Black Butler 2, we are introduced to a new demon going by the name of Claude. He is in many ways like Sebastian, but for whatever reason they both seem to show a lot of dislike for the other. As we would soon learn Claude’s true form is actually that of a spider while Sebastian’s true form is that of a raven. Though you may have never realized that their demon appearances were a foreshadowing to Claude’s death later on within the series. Seeing as how crows eat spiders. The outcome of their battle was pretty much inevitable.
8. During the first season of the anime we are introduced to a detective known as Fred Abberline, he and Ciel joined forces for a while before his untimely death in which he sacrifices himself to save the young Earl in episode 20. Earlier within the same episode we learned that Fred lost his family while he was still very young and as a result he was left to fend for himself without any parents or siblings. Eventually leading him to become a cop in the hopes of being able to create a better world for both his wife and soon to be child. Fast forward to season and we meet Edward Abberline who is not only Fred’s supposed brother, but his twin brother.
7. Did you know that the character Peter might actually be based off of Peter Pan. After all he’s a pretty arrogant individual who likes to dress in a lot of green clothing. He also has a partner named Wendy who along with him is an adult trapped within the body of a child. This however has not been officially confirmed by the series creator, but the resemblances are definitely there.
6. Speaking of resemblances have you ever stopped and compared just how similar Sebastian’s design is to that have Ciel’s father. Whether or not you did at first, there’s no denying that these two characters do look alike. Jump to chapter 61 of the manga, during a flashback showing the moment Sebastian first meets Ciel after saving him Sebastian has a moment of inner dialogue where he basically tells himself that in order to serve his new master, he would need to take on the form that is both suitable and appealing to him. Basically what we currently know him as now.
This has led to a number of Internet theories by fans believing that perhaps that Sebastian intentionally took on the form of Ciel’s father and of his questioning whether or not he somehow is his father transformed into a demon
5. One of the more interesting characters in the series would definitely have to be Lau, the Chinese nobleman/manager of the foreign trade business. Well a small detail that you may have never know this is that he can almost always be seen wearing some sort of traditional Chinese clothing. An interesting characteristic considering he is a pretty reoccurring character in the series. So far we’ve only seen him dressed out of his usual attire once when he was a guest at a party hosted by Aleister Chamber.
4. In episode 17, when Ciel and Sebastian traveled to the funeral parlor to pay a visit to the Undertaker. There is a moment where he can be seen buried underneath a barrel of salt from the neck down. Oddly enough he enjoys the sensation whatever that means however if you’re really observant during the scene, you may have noticed that after seeing this Sebastian raises a handkerchief up to his nose. This is in fact not a random reaction as in many supernatural films as well as Christian demonology, it is believed that salt is effective at keeping away demons.
3. Some of you may already know this but Ciel Phantomhive and his fiancee Elizabeth Midford are actually related. Lizzie is the daughter of Francis Midford who is the sister of Vincent Phantomhive, Ciel’s father meaning that the engaged couple are actually first cousins. I’m sure a good number of you are at least a tad bit confused at this point so let me explain while it does seem odd in today’s society, it wasn’t such a strange thing to intermarry back in the early 1800s. Though this really only applied to those of higher class such as nobles or royalty as they believed introducing someone from outside their own bloodline would somehow contaminate it.
2. Near the very end of the circus art the character Baron Kelvin tell Ciel that he’s been waiting to meet them face to face for many years. For a number of messed up reasons really as he’s basically obsessed with him. He even went so far as to replicate the exact same sacrificial ground as of the night Ciel first summoned Sebastian, with the hopes of reenacting some sick fantasy which I don’t really get. Although in the anime as well as the manga we can see that it is indeed an exact replica. However if you take a step back and analyze everything that’s going on this is simply not possible. The fact of the matter is that the baron was never there to see Ciel sacrifice take place as he was stuck in bed for many weeks after undergoing the surgery. Not only that but the entire building was incinerated by Sebastian alongside everyone who attended making Ciel and Sebastian, the only two living individuals potentially capable of successfully replicating this ground.
1. During one scene in episode 12, we see the detective Fred Abberline doing a bit of investigating on Ciel. However it seems he’s pretty terrible at doing his job because if you look closely on the specific document you can see the name written not as Ciel Phantomhive but as CL Pantomhive.