In anime, there are times where the supporting characters are much more loved than the main characters themselves, and this is the subject of this week’s Charapedia poll as they asked 10,000 anime fans which supporting character do they want to see in a leading role.
The online poll asked 10,000 fans, 45.9% being male and 54.1% being female, about their opinion, and here are the results:
20) Tomoyo Daidouji (Cardcaptor Sakura)
19) Erza Scarlett (Fairy Tail)
18) Mikuru Asahina (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
17) Miki Sayaka (Madoka Magica)
16) Touka Kirishima (Tokyo Ghoul)
15) Suzuha Kirigaya/ Leafa (Sword Art Online)
14) Nico Yazawa (Love Live!)
13) Chino Kafuu (Is the Order a Rabbit?)
12) Yukiho Kousaka (Love Live!)
11) Azusa Nakano (K-On!)
10) Ruiko Saten (A Certain series)
9) Shinka Nibutani (Chuunibyou)
8) Krista Lenz (Attack on Titan)
7) Kagura (Gintama)
6) Kuroneko/ Ruri Gokou (OreImo)
5) Ui Hirasawa (K-On!)
4) Charlotte Dunois (IS: Infinite Stratos)
3) Vi Graythorn (Detective Conan)
2) Mami Tomoe (Madoka Magica)
1) Kuroko Shirai (A Certain series)
The feisty middle school teleporter takes the #1 spot in the female rankings, beating out other popular characters like Mami, Kuroneko, and Charlotte. Looks like fans really want to see Kuroko have her own leading role and take away the spotlight which is usually shown on Touma, Index, Mikoto, Shiage, and Accelerator.
#3 ranked Vi meanwhile upsets several big names in the list like Charlotte Dunois and Ui Hirasawa, while #2 ranked Mami, ever the fan favorite, ranks very high as well.
Several of the characters named in the list are in fact main characters like Nico Yazawa and Azusa Nakano, however, since they are part of an ensemble cast, fans may have wanted to see them be in their very own series where they are main characters.