In a recent press release, Netflix doubled down on their desire to build up their anime productions as they partnered with three more studios: Anima, David Production, and Sublimation. In the statement, Netflix Director of Content (Japan) John Derderian said:
So, what are the projects? Well, we know a few of them. Altered Carbon: Resleeved will be an anime based on the live-action series that is being worked on with Anima. This is a project that was previously reported on that has now been officially announced. Meanwhile, Netflix is going to adapt the video game series Dragon’s Dogma with Sublimation as well. If you’re more into manga adaptations, then you’ll want to keep an eye out for the new adaptation of Spriggan from Netflix and David Production.
These three projects are just the latest in a range of projects. Netflix was already working on Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045, Super Crooks, and Vampire in the Gardens. If you want to learn more about the projects check out the official descriptions below.
- Altered Carbon: Resleeved – anima Inc.
- This anime feature spin-off, set in the same universe of the Netflix original live-action sci-fi series (second season in production from Skydance Television), will explore new elements of the story mythology.
- Dragon’s Dogma – Sublimation Inc.
- Based on a world-famous action RPG set in an open world, Dragon’s Dogma from CAPCOM will be brought to life as a Netflix original anime series. The story follows a man’s journey seeking revenge on a dragon who stole his heart. On his way, the man is brought back to life as an ‘Arisen’. An action adventure about a man challenged by demons who represent the seven deadly sins of humans.
- SPRIGGAN – David Production Inc.
- Netflix original anime based on classic manga by Hiroshi Takashige, illustrated by Ryoji Minagawa. Edgy sci-fi battle action about a man with supernatural powers to seal historical remains.
- Ghost in the Shell: SAC _2045 – Production I.G, Inc.
- Created by Masamune Shiro, the sequel of much acclaimed Ghost In the Shell SAC series has come back as a full 3DCG anime series. Directors Kenji Kamiyama, Shinji Aramaki and SOLA DIGITAL ARTS will collaborate once again following ULTRAMAN (streaming 1 April on Netflix). This is the first Ghost In the Shell series to be brought to fans with a double director.
- Vampire in the Garden – WIT STUDIO
- An original series by WIT STUDIO on two girls Momo and Fine from different backgrounds who meet by chance. A story about an unlikely friendship between human and vampire race that intertwines with the power or music.
- Super Crooks – bones.inc
- A story by Mark Millar and artist Leinil Francis Yu, the creators of Kick Ass and Wanted. Crime and thrills meets supernatural powers in this Millarworld title.